Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Making and Editing Internet Privacy Video

I could do the video all over again, I would shoot more footage so that I had more of the raw footage to work with. There were scenes that I would have liked to been able to work with more, but they were too short. Also, transition length was related to clip length, so having some short clips was a hindrance and could have been avoided with extra footage. I showed this video to as many people as I could convince to watch it, so that I could get a lot of feedback. They all said that they liked it, but that some transitions were choppy, which I realized.
My reaction to the video recording and editing process is positive. The colleagues that I filmed with were very positive and we had an easy time coming up with a script and executing what we wanted to do. The editing process had a really long learning curve, but now that I have some mastery of the imovies, I would use it again. I ran into some problems when I was trying to move the audio that was recorded with the original movie and place it with another clip. I know that we did it in class but I was unable to figure that out, and could not find any tips online that helped.
I would definitely have students create movies in a future classroom. There is a large time component as well as a learning curve, so the movie project would have to be a long-term project, scaffolded with benchmarks to ensure mastery. I think creating a PSA or recording a role playing exercise would be good collaborative and creative work that would engage students and provide opportunities for differentiated instruction.
As I had never edited a movie before, I learned about the editing process and how it requires patience and time. I like that I feel confident about making and editing a movie now that I have gone through the process and I would feel comfortable explaining and coaching my students through the process as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment